- Organized together with Kikuya Community Group (KCG), formed by the local young people to think of the future of their small village, since 2008. Ikata is famous for oranges farming, but has been facing depopulation, lack of workers and aging society since most of young people leave the town. So, the number of abandoned orange farms is increasing and the town is losing its tradition, life, custom and scenery. KCG strongly hopes to host vols. to work together to animate the town and revive the farms.
- We will help orange farming such as harvesting, taking care of trees, cutting grass etc.. We will separate into 5-6 groups to help different farms. Work is physically hard from early morning to evening. We will also visit school to organize class for international interact.
- Volunteers will stay in old traditional house. Meals will be cooked by volunteers by turns.
- In the edge of Sata Peninsula, surrounded by the sea, so fishing is also famous. There are only 30 houses in this community. The climate is relatively warm though it can be cold in winter.
- Interested in agriculture, high motivation to speak Japanese with local people
NICE is a Japanese youth organisation founded on the 4th Feb. in 1990 by the 7 youth who had done the workcamps or other types of voluntary service programs abroad. In Sep. 1990, the first international workcamp of NICE was held at the foot of the Mt. Fuji of Japan. It has been developing rapidly and variously with huge needs projects & motivations of people. In its development, NICE organised also workcamps in other countries of Asia.
Via Mico Geraci 35