LE FORT DE L'AIGUILLE (1)
- Located at the mouth of the Charente river, the peninsula of Fouras-les-Bains contains three harbours and five beaches along the Atlantic coast. In an idyllic setting with views of Fort Boyard, you will work on the rehabilitation of the Fort of the Aiguille. This fort is a redoubt, a fortification system built by the French military engineer Vauban. The redoubt protected Fouras from a potential enemy sea invasion.
- This project is a continuation of the work undertaken last year by the volunteers. You will work on the restoration of a new part of the main facade of the redoubt. You will help the technical leader to remove plants from the facade, and to remove and replace the chalk mortar joints between the stones. Other works of traditional masonry are also planned, such as redoing the stone coping (top layer of the wall) and stone-cutting.
- In groups, in tents on Fourasaeuro campground (swimming pool, multi-sports area, WIFI, snacksaeuro) Meals will be prepared by I)kitchen teamsIi in turns.
- Location: Fouras-les-Bains, located 20 km away from La Rochelle.Leisure activities: You will be able to visit some tourist areas around, enjoy nature and organize some dinners with the local inhabitants. You will also have the opportunity to visit the Ele d Aix, a small car-free island in the middle of the ocean, by boat. Since it is also a popular sea-side resort, you will be able to participate to several events in the region.
- This project is organised under the European Solidarity Corps Program. More information will be released soon.
Solidarites Jeunesses works alongside a number of partner organisations world-wide, exchanging volunteers and organising international solidarity projects. The association has been the French branch of Youth Action for Peace till 2009, a movement created after the First World War in order to reconcile people of different nationalities through a better mutual understanding. National Solidarites Jeunesses is a national youth organisation, recognised by the French Ministry of Youth and Sport. Our national headquarters are situated in Paris. We organise short and longer-term international youth volunteer workcamps and voluntary services, projects with people from disadvantaged areas, training sessions, and international solidarity projects. We also manage rural residential and community centres. Regional Solidaites Jeunesses is composed of 7 regional delegations: Ile-de-France, Franche-Comtï¿½, Languedoc-Roussillon, PACA, Auvergne, Poitou-Charentes and Midi-Pyrenees. Moreover it cooperates with partners in the regions of Bretagne, Lorraine and with La Croisï¿½e des Regards in the region PACA. Workcamps The international workcamp is a very important part in the action undertaken by Solidarites Jeunesses. It is prepared a long time in advance in the different regional offices and the National Secretariat. The international workcamp, open to volunteers of any age, is seen as a tool of local and personal development, tolerance and understanding between the different participants. Furthermore, we lay emphasis on the inclusion of people coming from disadvantaged areas. The workcamps promote the active participation of the local population.
Via Mico Geraci 35