ISOLA DELLE FEMMINE I
- The "Isola delle Femmine" is a natural reserve established in 1997 by the Sicilian Region and managed by LIPU (Italian league for birds protection) since 1998. This little uninhabited island is the ideal place for a specific species of birds called Gabbiano reale (Larus michahellis) allowing them to rest from migration and to grow numerically. Due to financial cutting, this area is suffering of maintenance and the support received along the year, of course is not as such as should be provided. This is the reason why InformaGiovani togerher with LIPU organize every year workcamps to support the maintanance of the natural reserve and to sensitize the local community towards the place.
- Work will be run in the little uninhabited island, volunteers will help in cleaning the area, re-building stone paths. Work will be done mainly in the morning and in case of wind or rain the work will be run at land (at the office of LIPU). Work can be tiring and hard due to hot temperature and sicilian sun (hat and sunblock are compulsory). Being able to swim is compulsory.
- Accommodation is in a small apartment in the village (not on the island) which is at the same time the LIPU office. All the volunteers will be accommodated in one room equipped with bunk beds and share one bathroom. Food will be cooked by volunteers.
- Isola delle Femmine is an Italian town in North-Western Sicily, in province of Palermo. It is next to the sea so you can spend your free time at the beach, do water sports, snorkeling, etc... Isola is a cost-town close to Palermo and connected with bus. Palermo is a beautiful city where there are many sights and places to spend your free time.
- Being able to swim is compulsory. Interest in environment issue, protection of sea and coast. Motivation letter is compulsory in order to show interest towards the project.
The association for social promotion “Informagiovani” was established at the end of the year 2001 by a group of volunteers who have been running the city youth information centre of Palermo since November 2000. The association has the following aims: a) foster and promote human and civil rights, with particular attention to child and youth rights; b) promote the right to information and participation of youth; c) defending social and collective rights with particular attention to youth and student rights; d) promoting volunteering as a tool for social change and active citizenship. During its life, the association run different activities of information, training and counselling and, since 2006 has start focusing its activities to promote and develop tools for social inclusion of youth with fewer opportunities. We organize workcamps and youth exchanges since 2006. In particular it has addressed its work to involve disadvantaged youth in local and international voluntary activities in the frame of Youth in Action and Europe for Citizens programmes of the EU. Since 2008 has also established a partnership with the Centre for Social Services for Youth of the Italian Ministry of Justice. In the frame of this partnership, the association has been developing activities to include young offenders in international intercultural activities, in the frame of the social rehabilitation programmes. The association has been coordinating seminars and training on the issue of social inclusion of disadvantaged youth and is accredited as hosting, sending and co-ordinating organization for action two “European Voluntary Service” of Youth in Action.
Via Mico Geraci 35