EDUCATING TO FREEDOM
- The association of the free Waldorf school manages the local school inspired by the principles of Anthroposophy (more info at http://www.waldorfanswers.org). The school is a community of teachers and pupils’ families and they all do the necessary works to maintain the school building and garden.
- Volunteers will support the teachers and the parents of the pupils in the manual work needed before the start of the school year. Main work will be maintenance of garden and classroom, including painting, arrange the play area for kids, repair desks, etc.
- Accommodation in the school. Volunteers will sleep in inflated matresses in classroom and they will use solar shower. Lunch together with teachers and dinners self-prepared by volunteers with provided food. A kitchen is available for volunteers.
- The school is not far from the city centre. Volunteers can join social and cultural life of the city.
- Willing to manual work, sense of initiative is fundamental
The association for social promotion “Informagiovani” was established at the end of the year 2001 by a group of volunteers who have been running the city youth information centre of Palermo since November 2000. The association has the following aims: a) foster and promote human and civil rights, with particular attention to child and youth rights; b) promote the right to information and participation of youth; c) defending social and collective rights with particular attention to youth and student rights; d) promoting volunteering as a tool for social change and active citizenship. During its life, the association run different activities of information, training and counselling and, since 2006 has start focusing its activities to promote and develop tools for social inclusion of youth with fewer opportunities. We organize workcamps and youth exchanges since 2006. In particular it has addressed its work to involve disadvantaged youth in local and international voluntary activities in the frame of Youth in Action and Europe for Citizens programmes of the EU. Since 2008 has also established a partnership with the Centre for Social Services for Youth of the Italian Ministry of Justice. In the frame of this partnership, the association has been developing activities to include young offenders in international intercultural activities, in the frame of the social rehabilitation programmes. The association has been coordinating seminars and training on the issue of social inclusion of disadvantaged youth and is accredited as hosting, sending and co-ordinating organization for action two “European Voluntary Service” of Youth in Action.
Via Mico Geraci 35