LET S DISCOVER THE AIX ISLAND HERITAGE (2)
- The Aix Island (Ile d Aix in French) is a small pedestrian island located in the North Atlantic ocean. Marked by an eventful maritime past, this island contains lots of places steeped in history, especially the Fort Liedot, which was built by Vauban and classified as a historical monument. This town is a loyal partner of the association SolidaritEs Jeunesses. In fact, for several years now, l Ele d Aix has hosted international workcamps.
- You will work on the restoration of the large west stone shooting site, which faces the Fort LiEdot. The work will consist in de-vegetating the site in order to start traditional masonry work on rubble walls, to replace the stones, to jog and rejoin with hydraulic lime.
- In group, indoors, on the island. Meals will be prepared by kitchen teams, in turns.
- Location: Ele-d Aix. In the middle of the sea 20km from Rochefort-sur Mer, Charente Maritime.Leisure activities: You will take part to so many activities this year in l Ele d Aix You will have the chance to set up and host the aeurooeIslanders Festivalaeuro, and to enjoy all the activities it has to offer: concerts, shows, bass bands, local produce markets, exhibitions, and film projections. You could also practice your skills in some aquatic activities, like fishing or sailing, with the local clubs. During your free time, you will also have the opportunity to interact with local residents that are eager to meet you. Finally, you will have time to discover the beach, to go on bike rides along the sea, to play beach-volleyball, and to participate in many other activities. You could also go and visit the villages like La Rochelle or Rochefort.
- This project is organised under the European Solidarity Corps Program. More information will be released soon.
Solidarites Jeunesses works alongside a number of partner organisations world-wide, exchanging volunteers and organising international solidarity projects. The association has been the French branch of Youth Action for Peace till 2009, a movement created after the First World War in order to reconcile people of different nationalities through a better mutual understanding. National Solidarites Jeunesses is a national youth organisation, recognised by the French Ministry of Youth and Sport. Our national headquarters are situated in Paris. We organise short and longer-term international youth volunteer workcamps and voluntary services, projects with people from disadvantaged areas, training sessions, and international solidarity projects. We also manage rural residential and community centres. Regional Solidaites Jeunesses is composed of 7 regional delegations: Ile-de-France, Franche-Comtï¿½, Languedoc-Roussillon, PACA, Auvergne, Poitou-Charentes and Midi-Pyrenees. Moreover it cooperates with partners in the regions of Bretagne, Lorraine and with La Croisï¿½e des Regards in the region PACA. Workcamps The international workcamp is a very important part in the action undertaken by Solidarites Jeunesses. It is prepared a long time in advance in the different regional offices and the National Secretariat. The international workcamp, open to volunteers of any age, is seen as a tool of local and personal development, tolerance and understanding between the different participants. Furthermore, we lay emphasis on the inclusion of people coming from disadvantaged areas. The workcamps promote the active participation of the local population.
Via Mico Geraci 35