POTTERY CAPITAL, UZICE
- Zlakusa is tourist village in Western Serbia well known because of rural tourism, Ethno park Terzica avlija, old pottery craft, monument of nature Potpecka cave (with biggest cave entrance on the Balkans). Ethno park Terzica avlija is one of the most successful and most beautiful village tourist household in Serbia visited by over a 7000 tourist per year (www.zlakusa.com). Until now Ethno park Terzica avlija (http://www.zavicaj.info/eng/ethnopark-terzica-avlija/) and Ethno association Zavicaj have organized seven workcamps (http://www.zavicaj.info/eng/events/international-eco-camp/) with many volunteers from different continents. Aim of these camps is cleaning all rivers banks and springs in the village and removing illegal dumping from forest and fields, so that Zlakusa can be the first “clean” tourist village in Western Serbia.
- This year the goal is to decorate, tide up and arrange entrance to the village in year of jubilee – celebration of 15th anniversary of rural tourism, and to arrange place for cottages for next volunteers and paint marks for hiking trails to help organising national trekking league in 2020. Organizer’s vision is to promote Zlakusa as the prime ecological and touristic village in Serbia and capital of pottery on the Balkans. Volunteers will work on removing and cleaning dumps, cleaning forests and river coast from garbage, including the disposal of the building material, paint the bridge over the river and memorial in the centre of the village from the WWII. Study part: Volunteers will have organized pottery class and presentation (an international pottery festival is held for already 22 years in this village) so volunteers will have chance to try to make something, also they will have presentation how Serbian traditional costumes were made and they will have chance to learn Serbian traditional songs and dances and have performance on local manifestation “Zlakusa in song and dance” in front of local audience wearing local traditional clothes. Also they will have touristic trips around Zlatibor Mountain most famous touristic centre in Serbia.
- in tents, please bring your sleeping bag. If you want, you can bring your own tent. The traditional Serbian food would be prepared by the host. Volunteers will have the possibility to cook their national meals in the evenings.
- Village Zlakusa is nearby Uzice (14km) in west part of the Serbia. The village Zlakusa finds its place between the beautiful mountains of Zlatibor and Tara. It is famous for its pottery, 60km of marked hiking paths through stunning nature, rivers rich in salmons, trumpet players and well preserved ethno villages presenting the highest form of rural tourism to its guests. Zlakusa, ranked as the most successful point of rural tourism in Serbia, will host this workcamp for the eight year. Volunteers will visit important cultural and historical spots in the area, Potpecka cave, museum part of ethno village, pottery households with presentation of craft work and chance to make pots by themselves. They will also see local festival dedicated to old craft of Zlakusa pottery.
- Volunteers should love nature and culture; they should bring flag of their own country which will stay in museum part of Ethno Park. During the camp is forbidden to drink alcoholic drinks.
Young Researchers of Serbia - Voluntary Service of Serbia (YRS-VSS) is a non-profit, non-political NGO officially established in 1976 as a network of organizations, societies, clubs and sections with research programmes, gathered around the coordinative office on the national level in Belgrade. Through its history the number of members changed, but there were over 50 different organizations taking part. In the 90’s YRS-VSS leaves the organizational form of vertical relationships following the current direction of civil sector development. Today YRS-VSS represents the organization on the national level and it unites three thematically different but interconnected sectors – Environmental Protection and Conservation Sector, Youth Sector and Voluntary Service of Serbia. Young Researchers of Serbia - Voluntary Service of Serbia involves mostly young people aged 15-30, but there is no upper age limit. We have developed in delivering good preparation and follow up of young people with fewer opportunities. THINK BIG - do little: start an avalanche! is our motto. Our vision is to be the driving force for all those whose aim is to make our planet a more peaceful, just and healthy place. Driven by science and education, our mission is to contribute: - to environmental protection and nature conservation, - to development of voluntarism and its values, - to scientific creativity and active participation of the youth. Our main aims are environmental protection, environmental education, youth exchange and work with young people, as well as the promotion of sustainable development, scientific creativity and volunteerism. We have organized hundreds of research projects and educative programmes for young people in various areas of natural and social sciences. INTERNATIONAL VOLUNTARY SERVICE We usually send approx. 400-500 volunteers from Serbia abroad and host over 400 foreign volunteers to 35+ workcamps each year. Since 2015 our work on international volunteers exchange is supported by the Ministry for youth and sports of the Republic of Serbia. MEMBERSHIP IN INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS YRS-VSS is a member of: Alliance of European Voluntary Service Organizations, CCIVS – Coordinative Committee of International Voluntary Service, YEE – Youth and Environment Europe, ANPED – Northern Alliance for Sustainability, CEEWEB – Central and East European Working Group for the Enhancement of Biodiversity, and a partner of the network SCI in Serbia. YRS-VSS is one of the founding members of SEEYN – South East European Youth Network. IN THE ALLIANCE We are full members of the Alliance since 2005 and in the IVS movement since 1980’s. Our main contribution to the network has been in delegating representatives to the Executive Committee (Jelena Ristic Beronja, Vice President of the Alliance 2010-2016, senior trainer in the Pool of Trainers since 2014) and Management Committees (Bojan Beronja as SDWG coordinator 2012 – 2014 and again in 2016 – 2017) and hosting EC meetings, the first Joint Meeting in 2012, Alliance Capacity Building Training in 2014, Alliance General Conference and General Assembly 2016.
Via Mico Geraci 35