KATSUYAMA 1 (FAMILY WORKCAMP IN FUKUI)
- This workcamp has been organized with Ohara Eco Project (OEP) in cooperation with Katsuyama city government since 2009. There were 600 inhabitants in Ohara village with 90 houses 100 years ago, but now only 1 elder OEP was founded by the local people in 2006 and has rehabilitated 7 houses of cultural heritage. They maintain and revive the trails and fields, organize the workcamps with NICE and run various eco tour, so got the best prize in the award of "Creating Home Town" by the national government in 2016 The family workcamp started since 2013 (President of NICE keeps joining as a leader with his kids) and hosted a lot of families from Japan, Asia, Europe and Americas with great success.
- Volunteer will help to 1) maintain the old houses by cleaning up, drying many sleeping mats, etc., 2) do farming (weeding in the green tea field that was abandon, cultivating, planting and harvesting potats) and 3) do other community work (e.g., construction, chopping woods, trail maintenance). Children sometimes work with adults and other times play in the nature (river, etc.) by the assistance of some parents (by turns) and supporting vols.
- A few rooms of the traditional renovated house Meals will be cooked by turns. Sleeping bag is not necessary. Simple shower rooms. Clean toilets. You can see how the village looks like at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzGZvho8fVQ
- 200 km north east of Osaka. Katsuyama is an agricultural city and famous for dinosaurs discovery. Ohara village is located at 500 m a.s.l. and surrounded by the mountains with very rich nature (e.g., the spring water is drinkable and very tasty).
- Only families (Children should be 6-12 years old) can join this program. Basically up to 4 persons (2 adults) per family. High motivation to work and cooperate. Respect to the local culture and way of the organization Speaking Japanese language is welcomed
NICE is a Japanese youth organisation founded on the 4th Feb. in 1990 by the 7 youth who had done the workcamps or other types of voluntary service programs abroad. In Sep. 1990, the first international workcamp of NICE was held at the foot of the Mt. Fuji of Japan. It has been developing rapidly and variously with huge needs projects & motivations of people. In its development, NICE organised also workcamps in other countries of Asia.
Via Mico Geraci 35