PEACE VILLAGE-COCONUT CAMP
- Peace Village Songkhla has been creating in 2011 at Peace Village, everyone can come to learn in the main aim is learning by doing and international community Living. We can study about each country, nationalities, cultures, etc. in the class but in the real situation is not in the lesson where you can see how the difference of people even they are from the same city. Peace Village is active at the rural area of Songkhla province, Southern of Thailand in the small village; the name Ban Ton San (Ban in Thai mean village). The main occupation is rubber plantation and most of the villagers are Buddhist. Keywords to live at Peace Village; Slow life/ living organic International community living Learning by doing Cultural diversity SDGs in this camp Goal 4 Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all Goal 10 Reduce inequality within and among countries Goal 11 Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable Goal 16 Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels Goal 17 Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
- The 1stweek the volunteer will spend time together supporting community Creative teaching English Creative teaching is important to recognize; teaching certificate does not need for specific quality of the volunteer but creative is the one of yours. The aims of creative teaching are given the chance for people in the village or the place nearby can communicate with different language, touch difference culture, and believing. Center renovation As we have the center, VSA Learning Home, now we also need a volunteer to set up the center as when they have spare time from main work. We are going to clean the accommodation and meeting area, and continue to build and paint the construction that the last volunteer did. There are villagers help and teach how to build. This is a good way to learn Thai way of the construct. Also, the volunteer can make the chair in this part. Relationship with the villagers The rest of time form your main work, important thing is to learn and share with the villager by visiting, talking and do activities with them. You will get rich experience by learning and sharing from each other. Kitchen garden The volunteer will work in the small farm as a kitchen garden. They can renovate and plant some vegetables for making the food in the future. The 2nd week will be following the theme as COCONUT CAMP Main work of this camp will be all about coconut. The concept is learning to use the local and nature care resourced from local, avoidi
- The volunteer will stay at Learning Home (Homestay) and Suan Plak Waa Farm in Thai style dormitory Nature environment, basic and simple. Mattress, pillow, and fan are provided. Thai toilet and bath. Washing clothes by hand. No food and drink except drinking water in accommodation area for your care because some animals such as mouse, ant, will come to share your food. Please keep clean and tidy The volunteer expects to eat Thai food and takes turn cooking with a local volunteer.
- There are many beautiful tourist attractions in Songkhla province. We would like to recommend the Hat Yai Municipality Park, Samila Beach, and Songkhla Old Town. Hat Yai Municipality Park The biggest public park in Hat Yai city where the local people come to take a relax. Moreover, there is a big Buddha on the top of the Ko Hong hill around the area of the public park. You can take the public car at the park to the hill. There you can see the beautiful view of Hat Yai city. Samila Beach The main beach of Songkhla province. There is full of history and storytelling about the Samila Beach and the small islands from the beach. Songkhla Old Town The original town of Songkhla can tell many stories in that period. You can visit, find some typical food and take the photo with the beautiful walls and buildings You can find more information at: https://www.tourismthailand.org/About-Thailand/Destination/Songkhla https://www.inspirock.com/thailand/things-to-do-in-songkhla-province
- Teaching clothes, every shirt needs to cover shoulders, trousers for men and skirt for women, the skirt should cover your knees. Important! No vest, blue Jeans, or shorts while teaching. Farming working clothes. Brogue shoes or canvas shoes, no slippers when teaching. Sandals with socks can comply. Medicine as necessary Mosquito repellant Your traditional music, costumes, food and drink for the intercultural night (cooking and performance) Materials or sources (brochures, maps, souvenirs, pictures, flags, or handicrafts to introduce about your country and culture). Sunglasses and sun-block cream Toilet paper (you can buy it at the shop in the village) Any interesting materials such as CDs, ideas for games/activities for students. Motivation, good humor, and communication skills Raincoat or umbrella (during rainy season)
Volunteer Spirit Association (ex Sawasdee) is a non-profit (NPO)/non-government (NGO) / a peace organization that coordinates international voluntary projects for people of all ages, cultures, religious and economic backgrounds. Our work is based on the belief that all people are capable of living together and cooperating with mutual respect and without recourse to violence to solve conflicts. Through international voluntary work we aim to give people the chance to experience this way of living whilst contributing in a useful manner to the community. Volunteer Spirit Association had started its activities in 2008 and organized first international workcamp in 2009. The first group of international volunteer was from NICE (Never-ending International workcamps Exchange) Japan Check out the website: http://volunteerspirit.or.th
Via Mico Geraci 35