THIS SUMMER IS OURS IV
- ELIX will organize two workcamps "This Summer Is Ours" with the support of Hellenic Petroleum and the Municipality of Kordelio
- Volunteers participating in these two workcamps will host children, teenagers and young people with mental and physical disabilities (10-29 years old) from Monday to Friday from 8:00H to 14:00H and hold a fun and diverse daily schedule. Volunteers will support the educational activities for children by helping the pedagogue to implement, athletic activities, workshops, artistic events, theatrical plays, cross cultural education and much more. Moreover, volunteers will have the opportunity to propose and implement their own activities with the support of the pedagogue. The first weekend of the workcamp there will be a training and an introduction necessary for the following weeks. Some afternoons will be used to prepare activities for the following days. There is a school garden were environmental workshops will be held. The daily activity program for the children, teenagers and young people will be fixed by a pedagogue and introduced to the group of volunteers during the training. The pedagogue and the team will be with the volunteers throughout the programme.
- Volunteers will be accommodated in a vocational school. The accommodation is basic but adequate; volunteers will sleep on the floor in the classrooms of the school. Sleeping bags and carry mats are necessary. There are toilets, showers (no hot water) and cooking facilities at the school. No internet wi-fi. Air-condition is not available in the school, but there will be fans. Everyday two different volunteers from the group, in shifts, will be responsible for maintaining the group accommodation place clean, as well as for the preparation of all the meals for the group of volunteers.
- Thessaloniki is the second largest town of Greece and the most important center of the area. Built near the sea, it is a modern metropolis bearing the marks of its stormy history and its cosmopolitan character, which give it a special beauty and charm. There is a lot to do in this city with an active nightlife, many bars and cafes and museums for those who enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere. Sites like the White Tower, the Archaeological Museum, the Ataturk House, the Olympic Museum, The Ancient Forum, the Museum of Cinematography in Thessaloniki as well as many other are all popular places to visit within the City. Volunteers will discuss their free time activities with their camp leaders; together they are going to organize excursions and visits. In their free time, participants will have the opportunity to get in touch with the everyday life of the city.
- ELIX is looking for volunteers that enjoy working with children, teenagers and young people with mental and physical disability and will support the daily activity program. The volunteers are invited to bring games, songs, ideas, instruments and crafts for the activities! Due to nature of the workcamp a motivation letter from the volunteer is needed, in order for us to learn more about the volunteer, her/his ideas and motivation for this workcamp. All the accepted volunteers have to provide ELIX with the original Certificate of Good Conduct.
mission ELIX - Conservation Volunteers Greece is a non-governmental, not-for-profit organization promoting, since 1987, voluntary service and education. The main goal of ELIX is the personal development of individuals as citizens of the world, through active participation. Environmental protection, cultural heritage conservation, culture promotion and social service are the main thematic fields of ELIX's voluntary projects. aims ELIX aims in bringing together people from different cultural, social and ethnic backgrounds, willing to live, learn and work together as a team, through their participation in voluntary projects of environmental, cultural, social interest. ELIX projects promote intercultural exchanges and offer young people the opportunity to participate actively in the everyday life of a hosting community. activities ELIX organizes two weeks workcamps mainly in the summer; participants offer voluntary work to the hosting community, learn traditional restoration craft and techniques organize and participate in cultural and fun activities, share ideas and speak about their cultures. ELIX workcamps give to communities and small villages of Greece the opportunity to meet and host young people from all over the world and, with their contribution, to implement important projects for the local community. ELIX organizes training seminars for youth workers and campleaders and a lot of activities addressed to volunteers, throughout the year, such as weekend and one-day excursions, environmental, cultural and fun activities, regular volunteers' meetings. ELIX realizes at present three hosting projects within the frame of the European Voluntary Service of the Erasmus+ and each year sends a large number of EVS volunteers abroad. funds ELIX income comes mainly from volunteers participation fees, national and local bodies, such as the Greek General Secretariat for Youth, private institutions or foundations, donations, the Erasmus+ programme and other European projects.
Via Mico Geraci 35