DEAN CASTLE - NATURE CONSERVATION IN SCOTLAND
- Dean Castle Country Park has over 80 hectares of countryside and yet is set in the heart ofKilmarnock as a free resource for the whole community. The Country Park boasts beautiful woodland walks, an adventure play area, urban farm, visitor centre, tearoom, shop and a fantastic 14th century castle. With scenic paths and trails to explore, the park is a great place to get away from the stresses of everyday life and see some fantastic wildlife. Volunteers are vital to the Park and help us improve the Park for wildlife and make it a better place for the community.
- You ll take part in nature conservation activities in the park, particularly path maintenance helping the local community access the park safely. We ll also get out in the beautiful Ayrshire countryside for a day of path work on one of our long-distance paths. We ll tackle non-native species to protect our riverbank and try out some bushcraft skills.
- You ll be housed at the new residential centre in the country park just along the main drive from the castle. There will be four to a room in bunk beds and no need for sleeping bags There s a kitchen with plenty of cooking equipment for you to use to cook up a tasty meal at the end of the day to use at the centre as well as a recreational space to hang out in the evenings and weekends. You ll all work together to cook and clean as a team and have a chance to share inter-cultural meals and experiences.
- Dean Castle Country Park is in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire and you may recognise it from the famous Outlander series as Beaufort Castle There are local pubs and cafes nearby as well as a cinema in Kilmarnock. For weekend trips, there are plenty of tourist attractions within easy reach of Kilmarnock including Loch Lomond, Isle of Arran, Glasgow, Edinburgh or the beautiful beaches of Troon and Ayr.You could try a ceilidh (fun folk dancing for everyone) or last year we also brought a dance group in to do folk dancing with the volunteers,
- The project involves physical work outside so it s important you re happy outdoors in all weathers - particularly our famous Scottish summer - doing physical work that s often muddy. We re looking for volunteers who are excited to work as part of a team and work together to achieve a happy and successful workcamp. This will be an English language workcamp so volunteers must have a high level of English and be willing and able to communicate in English throughout the work and social parts of the workcamp.
Xchange Scotland is a youth-led charity developed by returned Scottish volunteers and others committed to making positive change in society. For the past 5 years, our founding members have been deeply involved in international volunteering and education projects. Our aim is to connect individuals and organisations in Scotland to these exciting and accessible international opportunities. We want to bring as many people to Scotland for international volunteer projects and enable as many Scots to volunteer abroad as possible.
Via Mico Geraci 35