GUARDIAREGIA YOUTH ACTION CAMP
- Guardiaregia is a small mountain town in the province of Campobasso in Molise region. The settlement exists since ancient Roman times. Nowadays it represents a typical mountain town with few inhabitants in winter, a bit more in summer, that struggles to preserve its identity and traditions. Even being part of WWF oasis and owning a huge natural and cultural heritage it is still not well-known for tourists. This first international workcamp is organized together with newly established cultural association “ARTETECA Molise” that dedicates its activities to the rediscovery and enhancement of the tangible and intangible heritage of Molise. This international workcamp aims to restore some natural area, raise awareness about Guardiaregia’s heritage and encourage cultural exchange with local people.
- On the territory of Guardiaregia there are several creeks that unfortunately are often used as illegal dumps, especially by the passing tourists. The volunteers will be cleaning up the shore and the torrents in order to increase public interest to the problem. The work will be done in cooperation with municipality administration and under the supervision of technical leader.
- Accommodation in shared double tents. Please note that the tents are provided but you must bring your own sleeping bag and mat. The volunteers will have access to the toilets, showers and kitchen in the adjoining building. The volunteers will share the different collective tasks such as cooking and cleaning.
- Guardiaregia is a small mountain town of 748 inhabitants in the Province of Campobasso, Molise, southern Italy. In ancient times it was a strongpoint of the Samnites and Romans. The current settlement dates from the medieval Lombard Duchy of Benevento, when a castle was built here to protect Campochiaro. In 1805 the town was hit with a sizable earthquake that destroyed the castle. During the Second World War there was a vast number of immigrants to Canada and the United States. Since 1996 Guardiaregia together with the neighbour Campochiaro made up the natural oasis of WWF “Riserva Regionale Guardiaregia Campochiaro” with its caves, canyons and waterfalls that now is close to become Matese National Park. Beautiful walkways and viewpoints weave up, down and along the hillsides where you might be lucky enough to spot some of the local wildlife. In their free time the volunteers can go hiking at archaeological sites and / or natural sites, such as chestnut woods, natural caves and mountain pathways. NEAREST TERMINAL: NAPOLI airports, Campobasso train station. There is direct BUS from NAPOLI (Piazza Garibaldi) from Monday to Saturday at 16:15, arrival in GUARDIAREGIA at 18:50. More specific info in the infosheet.
- YAP project-related motivation form is required. This workcamp is recommended for those who love nature, enjoy working outdoors, taking care of the environment. You must have a suitable mountain equipment: trekking shoes, backpack, windbreaker and raincoat, hat, flashlight (preferably frontal), water bottle.
YAP (Youth Action for Peace) Italy, founded in the 70s organises and realises international short term activities, seminars, training courses for intercultural youth animators. YAP It is member of CCIVS–Unesco (Coordinating Committee for International Voluntary Service) and full member of ALLIANCE of European Voluntary Service Organisations
VAT 090114478 DOY: A'ATHINON
15, Veranzerou Street
Local: 0030 210 3825 506