BACK TO THE SEA, EPHESUS
- We cooperate with the Directorate of Culture and Toursim. This year will be the first year of our cooperation. The supportive organizations are the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, and the Ministry of Youth and Sports.
- Volunteers will work for the preservation and promotion of Ephesus Ancient City in the UNESCO-World Heritage List. In the site area, they will update the information tables for the visitors, clean and arrange the perimeter of the site. In addition, volunteers will conduct digital media studies to promote this area locally, nationally and internationally.
- Volunteers will be accommodated in the fully equipped student dormitories with rooms for 4,6 and 8 people. The volunteers will have the breakfast and the dinner in the dining hall of the dormitory and for the luch they will take lunch boxes. Meals will be prepared by the chef of the dormitory.
- Ephesus World Heritage site included in the World Heritage List; EukuriEi HEyEk consists of four components: Ayasuluk Hill (Seljuk Castle, St. John s Basilica, Isa Bey Bath, Isa Bey Mosque, Artemision), Ephesus Ancient City and House of Virgin Mary. Ephesus, one of the most important centers of the ancient period, has been inhabited for almost 9000 years throughout the Hellenistic, Roman, Eastern Roman, Principalities and Ottoman periods, and has been a very important port city and cultural and commercial center in all stages of its history. Ephesus is home to the most outstanding architectural and urban planning examples of the different periods such as the cult center Artemision which dates back to B.C 8th century and was considered as one of the 7 wonders of the world; The Church of Mary, where the Ecumenical Council took place and the place where Mary was accepted and announced as the mother of Jesus; built on St.John s grave, such as the Basilica, the unique monuments that witnessed the early Christian era; the Virgin Mary House, which is now regarded as a pilgrimage site by the Christians; and the Islamic structures built during the Beyliks period, Ephesus also offers a unique knowledge that still stands today in terms of religious history.In their free time, volunteers will visit Izmir City Centre, museums, cultural and natural beauties of Izmir; and participate in workshops that the volunteers can benefit from socially.
- The working area is under the protection of Turkish Republic the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, and on the UNESCO ( World Heritage List. Due to the sensitive circumstances of the ares, the volunteers have to provide Motivation Letter, and Certificate of Good Conduct.
GSM – Youth Services Centre is a non-governmental and non-profit youth organisation that has been founded by a group of young people in 1985 in Ankara, Turkey. Since its first day, GSM has actively worked in youth field and until today it has created and successfully implemented many national and international youth projects. GSM is a pioneer organisation in the field of youth-work in Turkey. Our main aim is to support common understanding, peace, friendship and intercultural learning among young people coming from different cultural backgrounds by organising international youth activities. We believe that these intercultural activities give a space to young people to share their experiences and own cultural richness, which could help young people to break down any barriers and prejudice.
Via Mico Geraci 35