ZANZIBAR: AGRICULTURE AND AMP; SUSTAINABLE LIVELIH
- The project:Agriculture is the main part of Tanzania s economy providing livelihoods for 70 percent of the population. However, many local farmers struggle to make a profit and produce an adequate supply of food for their communities. As a volunteer on the Sustainable Agriculture project in Tanzania your focus is on providing support to small-scale local farmers, resulting in improved livelihoods for farming communities and more resilient and sustainable agriculture practices. JUAWA is a local farmers cooperative in Zanzibar formed to sustain livelihood of its members through agriculture, dairy farming and environment conservation. With 100 members they are working together in horticulture production, dairy cow, processing of dairy products and tree planting. This project is aiming to support small scale farmer to sustain their livelihood through agriculture.
- Some of the volunteers tasks will include:UOAgriculture: Preparing fields, planting and harvesting of fruits and vegetables. Planting grasses to feed animals.UODairy farm: Cow milking, cleaning for animals sheds, feeding animals, and helping in processing yogurt juices.UO Environment: Tree planting and environmental education and awareness.
- UOMeals: Three meals will be provide each day at the accommodation including vegetarians. We will have kitchen volunteer responsible in meals preparations, however volunteers shall also be expected to help in meals preparation and dish washing.UOAccommodation: At the communal house in the community. Rooms will be shared between 3-4 people, no bed but mattress on the floor (Comfortable enough). Water and electricity will be available. No washing machine available.
- Saturdays, Sundays and Public holidays is always free for volunteers to take advantage of the richness in natural, cultural and tourist attraction of Zanzibar to explore. Possibilities are:UOExploring Zanzibar historical, natural and cultural sites. These include museums, local markets, stone town, etc. UOEnjoy wildlife and marine life. Jozani forest National Park, Blue safaris swimming, tour to small islands, variety of water sports, spice tour among many other options.
- UOMotivation letter: ML should respond to the following questions; why would you like to participate in this project? (Your main motive), How do you plan to contribute to this project? What do you hope to learn and gain from this experience? How will you make advantage of this experience for the aeurooenext stepaeuro in your life? UOPotential volunteer in this project shall be the one who is interested or who want to know about agriculture and environmental sustainability. A person who is open minded, open to learn and contribute, interested in outdoor and nature activities.
UVIKIUTA is a Youth development organization established in the year 1983. The organization came to its existence a respond to the challenges facing today´┐Żs´┐Ż young people socially and economically. UVIKIUTA is working towards improving the living standards of the youths by facilitating them to be self employed, having permanent shelters, getting income, improving education and skill so as to be self reliance. UVIKIUTA activities are categorized under income generation, Eco village development and Development education. More details about these programs can found in the UVIKIUTA main website. International Volunteer Projects: For the last fifteen years UVIKIUTA has been involved in these projects which have been very famous as International workcamps, Medium and long term volunteer programs and community services. International volunteer projects are activities which involves individuals and groups of people who volunteer and live together on a project which has been identified by a local community or a project working with that community. This is a personal-building experience, a journey not only through the geography of our planet, but also a Journey through the several cultures of our world, a self-discovering journey. The program aim at bringing together people from different cultures and backgrounds, promoting through practical actions, mutual understanding and lasting peace. International volunteers´┐Ż projects are a practical tool to demonstrate that living, working together and sharing knowledge is not only possible but rewarding. In the International Volunteer projects we see the possibility of people to exchange experiences, learn more about other social, cultural, political and living conditions. Program Philosophy: International volunteer projects seek to provide an experience that connects service, culture, professional and personal growth. While the service we offer does improve the quality of life for others, it is equally important as a time to reflect on our own lives. The significance of what we do is more than social charity; it is an encounter with real people in the real world. Projects go beyond the familiar road of commercial society, taking us outside of our comforts so that we can spend our time in someone else's shoes. By working with people in various cultures, we learn to recognize the world we all share. We realize that our lives are interconnected and that our stories have common threads. We hope that by serving others you will discover you and better understand your own values and responsibilities as global citizen. What to Expect in International volunteer Projects: Volunteer projects are organized in very simple but comfortable enough. While most projects are not extreme difficult, positive attitudes, flexibility, and openness to new experiences are essential for every volunteer. The groups who have the best time at the projects are those who can most successfully adapt to their surroundings. Although the projects and living conditions are different for each project, they all share some basic universals. You can expect to eat, to sleep, to shower, do useful things in the community through volunteering, to play, and most importantly, to have fun! At the project you'll get to meet and volunteer with lots of people from the community and from all over the world and cultivate friendships that last much longer than just the time you will be there. Website: www.uvikiuta.org (Under construction)
Via Mico Geraci 35