THE PAPER TRAIL II
- Historically, the Paular Valley has been linked to the Batanes Estate as an industrial development model linked to sustainable use of resources, such as the use of different hydraulic devices to harness water power. This year, the proposed actions are a continuation of those of previous workcamps, and are intended to add value to the remains of these infrastructures as well as other conservation measures.
- Partner:The General Directorate for Cultual Heritage is an institution in the Community of Madrid that is responsable, amongothers, for historic preservation and heritage as well as promoting and fostering public Access to cultural heritageassets.Work:Clearing and removal of existing vegetation, both inside and outside the perimeter of archaeological structures.Cleaning and scraping building parts by manual means, removing the harmful vegetation which is damaging the architectural elements. Excavation and removal of archaeological fillings, as well as developing an accurate stratigraphic documentation of the deposition levels. Delimitation of structures, even removing slopes if necessary, for the accurate documentation of plans and sections. Stratigraphic documentation of both inner and outer fillings, collecting any existing archaeological material for later research and subsequent deposit at the Regional Archaeological Museum of Madrid Region (Museo Arqueologico Regional de la Comunidad Autonoma de Madrid).INTERNAL ORGANIZATIONParticipants will work 5 days a week. The actual work of the workcamp will be carried out in the morning. In theafternoon, leisure and recreation activities will be held. There will be two days off (on weekends) per week.
- Los Batanes Youth Hostel (Rascafria-Madrid).Los Batanes Youth Hostel is located at Km 27.600 on M-604 road, 2 Km from Rascafria and 98 Km from Madrid, atthe head of Lozoya Valley, in the Sierra de Guadarrama National ParkLos Batanes Youth Hostel, phone number: 0034 91 869 15 11It has rooms of 4 and 8 plzas, work rooms, spaces for common use and meals. The meal is included and consists of breakfast, lunch and dinner it will be served in the hostel itself. Because of its facilities, they offer an ideal framework for the realization of educational, sports, environmental and leisure activities.
- Rascafria. Madrid / Spainlos Batanes Youth HostelPhone: 0034 918691511Workshops and group leisure activities will be held. In addition, we will visit Segovia to discover the city.
- Participation and collaboration respecting the hostel and project regulations.Active and joint participation in a social good in favor of the community where the field is carried out.
SVI is the Spanish association which represents the Spanish workcamps managed by the Autonomous Regions (except those in Catalonia). We are under the Institute of Youth (Injuve). Injuve, an Autonomous Department of the Ministry of Health, Social Policy and Equality, has, for some years now, been promoting specific programmes which are aimed at increasing and favouring different travel possibilities for young people. This enables those under 30 years of age to become aware of other realities, visit other places and have access to other cultures. Included among these programmes is one known as International Voluntary Service (SVI), which deals only with workcamps. These are aimed at youth between 18 and 26 years old and their main objectives are: - To encourage conduct that will favour the exchange of ideas and young peopleâ€™s global development. This is achieved by volunteering and from the contributions made by youth from their own experience. This strengthens intercultural learning processes, personal development and the reinforcement of democratic values. - To integrate experiences, personal knowledge and the global development of youth in the carrying out of an activity, within the framework of voluntary service. The Youth Institute co-ordinates the exchange of places for young Spaniards wanting to volunteer in foreign workcamps and foreigners wanting to volunteer in Spanish workcamps. The Spanish workcamps are managed by the Autonomous Regions.
Via Mico Geraci 35