- This workcamp has been organized together with Green Volunteers for Green Future (GV4GF) since 2012 (since 2013 in this place). GV4GF is a NGO to promote voluntary service, environmental protection and improve rural life. GSS (Shelter for villagers) was made as an integrated organic farm in 1977 with the donation from some international agencies that suddenly stopped in 2012, so most of the activities were collapsed. Then, another group has taken the responsibility and runs an animal husbandry (cattle and goats), biogas unit, vegetable plantation plots including leafy vegetables, tea plantation, banana plantation and cinnamon plantation, all by the organic way, as well as a training center to train local youths as organic farmers
- We will 1. (first 2 days) make demonstrative vegetable gardens or plots with self help group members such as mixing the soil to make pots, planting seeds, making composts and harvesting, 2. assist the other farming activities at their home gardens, 3. make/ replant live fences, 4. support village children societyaeuros work and 5. assist village childrenaeuros English class.
- Training center at the farm with electricity, water, beds, pillows and toilets, but no hot water or internet. Some mobile connections are working. Meals will be cooked by the host, but you need to help it by turns. Sleeping bag is not necessary.
- It is a mountainous area and elevation is 1,100 m a.s.l. with cool, windy and low humid climate, located at 130km from Colombo. The area was used for tea plantation by British people till late 19th century, then abandoned. Tamil people are the majority.
- High motivation to work and respect to the local culture and way of the local organization
NICE is a Japanese youth organisation founded on the 4th Feb. in 1990 by the 7 youth who had done the workcamps or other types of voluntary service programs abroad. In Sep. 1990, the first international workcamp of NICE was held at the foot of the Mt. Fuji of Japan. It has been developing rapidly and variously with huge needs projects & motivations of people. In its development, NICE organised also workcamps in other countries of Asia.