The Conservancy Association (CA), founded in 1968, is the non-government environmental organisation with the longest history in Hong Kong. CA is dedicated to the protection of the environment and the conservation of natural and cultural heritage. CA’s mission is to enhance the quality of life of both this and future generations, and to ensure that Hong Kong shoulders her regional and global environmental responsibilities. We achieve this by advocating appropriate policies, monitoring government action, promoting environmental education and taking a lead in community participation. Since the establishment of the Association, we have been devoted to monitoring government environmental policies and promoting environmental education. [Official Website: http://www.cahk.org.hk]
The 8th Long Valley Harvest Festival will be organized to enhance the local awareness of Long Valley’s agriculture and conservation. There will be a series of different experiential activities to reconnect participants with the land and the village.
The project is co-organized by VolTra and The Conservancy Association (CA). a nature conservation management project for Long Valley has been organized since 2005, which aims to conserve Long Valley’s landscape and biodiversity through a series of active habitat and species management measures. Long Valley is a historical site of paddy rice production in Hong Kong with hundreds of years of history and its ecological value is closely related to its agriculture. However, many farmlands have been abandoned due to aging farming population, insufficient labour and low financial return. Sustaining the local agriculture has a vital role to conserve local biodiversity and farming tradition. In this connection, CA has initiated to engage the local stakeholders to resume freshwater habitats and sustain wet farmlands, such as reintroducing paddy rice, Chinese arrowheads, water chestnut and lotus cultivation.
1. Promote the ecological, cultural and educational values of Long Valley to general public
2. Participate in ecological monitoring work to understand the environment and farmers’ living
3. Learn and appreciate the importance of local agriculture and its relationship with ecology
1. Set up, decorate and operate the booths for traditional kiln, straw art, food making in the Long Valley Harvest Fest
2. Prepare, build and transport the facilities and materials for the festival
3. Eco-crop packaging work
ACCOMODATION AND FOOD
Workcampers are accommodated in the farming hut located in the farmlands of Long Valley. The living environment is very simple and basic but in a peaceful rural living style. Male and female workcampers will share the same living area and there is no partition in the accommodation space. Workcampers are required to sleep on the floor and carry their sleeping bags. Toilet, tap water, electricity, refrigerator, and fans will be provided at the farming hut.
LOCATION & LEISURE ACTIVITY
Long Valley is located at the northern urban edge of Hong Kong. With a total area of 150 hectares, it is the largest agricultural freshwater wetland in Hong Kong. It is composed of more than 400 linking farmlands with wetland farms, fish ponds, swamps, streams and Fung Shui Wood which provide ideal habitats for local wildlife. More than 200 bird species, including a range of international conservation concern species, have been recorded at this tiny piece of land. The high ecological value of Long Valley is well-recognized in both local and global scales.
1. Workcampers are responsible for carrying out cooking and cleaning duties by turns. Budget for food will be provided and food materials will be shopped by workcampers. Workcampers can collect fresh vegetables and fish from different farms in Long Valley or buy food from local market for cooking. All meals during the workcamp will be “low carbon meals”. “Dark meat” will not be served.
2. A primitive but clean squat toilet cum bathroom is available at the farming hut. Workcampers are required to scoop and boil hot water for bathing. No cleaning chemicals, including toothpaste, artificial cleaning detergent or soap, are allowed to be used in the camp site in order to prevent pollution. Natural or biodegradable detergent, like tea seed powder and sea salt (natural toothpaste), will be provided.
3. December to January is the coldest and driest period in Hong Kong. The average temperature ranges from 14°C to 20°C but lower temperature is expected in Long Valley. Below 10°C is expected under cold front period. Workcampers should carry suitable clothing for the cold weather.
4. Mosquitoes are unavoidable in rural area. Mosquito net and coil incense will be provided. Please remember to bring mosquito repellent. Organic or natural one is recommended.
5. No Smoking and alcohol are allowed within the farming area of Long Valley, including both indoor and outdoor space.