GEDONGSONGO CAMP I
- Background: Gedongsongo is one of national heritage situated in Central Java. There are 5 temples in the areas and the temples and became an attractive place for holiday, especially for regional tourist. This temple also surrounding by many intangible heritage such as dance, music, and festival that should support on the temple preservation matters. But still the environment awareness, socio economic background, sanitation and hygiene of the local people need to be improved. Most of the locals are earning money from the vegetables garden. The limitation of environmental friendly awareness from the local visitor as well as the sellers, this situation left many garbage in the temple area. The increasing number of visitor each year also contributed vandalism at the temple become one of the big problem on the heritage preservation issues. Project: Volunteers will do the follow up of activities; education and sharing knowledge on garbage recycle (School Visit), Managing Garbage Dumping, Cleaning Temple, environmental education for children, and campaign about environmental issue. Aims: To increase the awareness of the local people about garbage problem (especially non organic garbage), to support tangible and intangible heritage preservation program, cultural exchange with local people and educate student/local people to take care their environment.
- Work: Mainly will work in changing behavior activities of the local people toward their environment such as recycle garbage, introducing personal hygiene related to the environment condition, organizing additional English lesson and school visit, and playing games with children. There will be also possibilities on physical work such as cleaning the temple, planting trees, gardening, or making sign board/garbage bin. there will be also a class fro Javanese culture like traditional dancing will be arranged.
- Host family, sleeping bag or and mattress needed, self cooking, and self managing.
- Candi Village, Gedongsongo, Bandungan, Semarang Recency, Central Java Indonesia. The volunteers can see the breath taken view from the top of the hill in Gedongsongo. The air is so fresh and the nature is still so pure for a relaxing day. Click here to see the map.
- Special remarks: please bring any necessary information about garbage recycle/upcycle. Be very creative for additional English lesson, games and other activities for the children. Usually on February should be already entering rainy season. But, the weather becomes unpredictable now. So, do remember to bring sun block, rain coat and warm clothes to prevent very hot in the day time, rain during work and very cold at night.
IIWC, established in 1999, is an International Organization organizing International Volunteering Service in Indonesia. IIWC organizes Workcamps, hosting individual volunteers and group of volunteers, Long-Middle Term Volunteering, IIWC Cares, and trainings. IIWC is member of CCIVS at UNESCO and NVDA. Partner of the Alliance of European Voluntary Service Organizations.
Via Mico Geraci 35